Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ouch....that really hurt!!

It's been a few years since I've taken a hit like the one I took today. The last time was a few winters ago, I had Sandra Dee and Sheila out in the pasture, using Sheila to hold sheep, I had my back to the sheep trying to get Sheila to stay put, unknown to me Sandra Dee had latched onto the tail of a ewe, the ewe was in hot pursuit to safety (me). When she hit me she spun me and dropped me into a snow drift. That hurt my pride more the me, I guess I ended up with a pretty cheap chiropractic adjustment.
Today it was way different. A few weeks back I took on a new dog for training, he is a border collie that is 5 years old, has been used on cattle and feels that sheep are to be eaten. Things were going pretty well when all of a sudden he broke taking off after some sheep, the sheep circled came toward me and past. I stepped into the path of the dog to get him shut down, but he didn't stop, he ran smack dab into my leg head first about 4 inches below my knee and just to the side of my shin, luckly the muscle of my calf took the brunt of the blow. But boy, it hurts!!! The muscle and my shin bone are sore to the touch and when I move my leg.
After that wonderful event Wayne worked with Chip, which eventually turned into me working Chip. The little guy did some nice things, the highlight of the session was when he stopped on his own causing the sheep to slow rather then getting sucked in which results in excitement and chase, good dog.
Can't wait until tomorrow, will my leg hurt worse, or will it be better then today....I'm counting my blessings that he didn't hit my leg straight on. BTW, the bugger never slowed down, atleast that I saw, and then not long after that he ran headlong into the fence when a ewe jumped over him to elude him. This dog is going to take some time, he get's so wrapped up in "Get the Sheep" that he can't see anything around him.

No comments:

Post a Comment