Monday, October 12, 2009

This just in, update from Cecil's (Jax) owner

Jax when he was about 5 weeks old

This e-mail just arrived, we love it when we get good news about our pups!!!


Deb,

To preface this... It is our land lord's contractual responsibility to provide quality fencing. We maintain it. One strand of hot wire at 32 inches up is not enough, and it just trained our cows and calves to not respect fences. Now we are up to a 3 strand hot barbed wire and true gates, the middle strand is grounded, so they really get a wallop when they try to nose through the wires. The bad part is that the little calves still find a way and then can't get back in. Too bad we didn't start this way in the spring. A Big Boo for bad, lazy landlords.
However.... Good for the pup!

Exciting news here! Our little Monster is really something! I used him this weekend, while it was cold and nasty here we had to do some serious cattle management. There are 2 bulls, 50 cows and calves, weighing in about 500lbs on the average. Mind you, our cattle are used to dogs, but a few are tough customers, and require a lot of heart - even from our seasoned dog. So... The alfalfa field, behind the rented native grass pasture, was being invaded on a regular basis, so when I drive in to check cows, they start bellowing to their calves, half a mile out there on volunteer wheat and alfalfa. In this weather they can bloat and die quick on the frosted wheat and alfalfa, so I have been out there every dang morning, and usually take Bell, our seasoned BC dog, as I don't have a good down on Jax yet.


Bell was sore and carrying her leg from working at the sale barn a few days before, so I reluctantly loaded up only Jax. I figured I could keep him on the long line and if he got out of hand, down him by force. Well, I am so happy to say that it wasn't necessary! No, he didn't down the first or second or third time I called to him, but he found his own way. We started in the back corner of the circle - with 1 rotten cow and 22 calves. No one bloated, but still, out on our neighbors volunteer wheat.


Jax unloaded with huge interest, I got out with him, to give him direction and confidence he might not get if I stayed in the pickup. I decided to leave the string off, since it would be unlikely that I could catch him at a full run anyway, and if he missed a flank and got in the middle somehow, I wanted him to be unencumbered.


He is a big pup at 32lbs already- and covers ground well, still a lot of foot to grow into though, and we laughed at his ears flapping all over as he hauled butt out there with just a hiss and "get them up!" . He got within 3 feet of the cow, and looked back at me, running behind him, and I repeated the command, and he took a bite of her cannon bone- quick as could be, then went to wearing left, to keep them on the path - something he did all on his own! A couple calves were starting to slow and looked for a way through the repaired fence, and he flanked on his own, ducking through the fence, and ran hard at them, pushing them back towards the group. Jax slowed and looked back at me, and then seeing me still jogging towards the main group, I backed him up with another hiss and "get them up" and he took off again, wearing right to left at speeds I didn't know he was capable of yet! When they got near the fence, my husband had opened the gate and Jax changed his position - again on his own - to the far right to drive them through the fence. I was in total awe!


How does a 5 month old know to do that - and I am so tickled with his confidence! He did check with me a few times, and that is fine, he never changed his body position, and didn't let them stray while he thought about what I might ask of him. He stayed focused and I never called him back until we were done - with a That'll do! Good Dog Jax, Atta Boy!


He was pretty excited, but a bit winded, with tongue out and willingly laid down facing the herd- about 20 feet inside of the pasture, unknowingly - or instinctively protecting the open gate. He didn't come right back to me, just laid there - looking at them and then me, then back to the herd. I was winded too - been a long time since i had to run 1/2 mile to chase cows!


A little later Jax helped me with moving the same cows to another watering point - through a gate they weren't familiar with, so we really had to work to get them to stay in there - some of those rotten, tough-customer, dog hater cows put their heads down at him, then realized a human was behind the dog, and turned, without Jax realizing he wasn't entirely responsible for the cows movement and hesitation. I worried about them - and don't like being afoot for them myself, but for Jax's confidence, it was essential. Don't want to break his egg or bubble!


So, now, the focus is on downing and I am assigning come bys and away to me when he looks like he is going to do it anyway, but not focused on more than down and get back this week - at least intentionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment