Thursday, August 6, 2009

I crown you "Chore Dog of the Week"


The time has come, I think he is ready, actually I think all three are ready, JJ, Dixie and Weasel. They have been getting bits and pieces of controlled work out in the training pens for the last 6 months or so. Both JJ and Dixie have even been able to go out and help with tending duties now and then. But the time has come, for one week solid, each will get to be my designated chore dog. Through thick or thin, I am committed to helping them through it while holding them to the proper level of work, it is time for the kids to grow up.

JJ and I just came in from morning chores, he hung around with me watching my every move as I fed horses, made the mistake of thinking that I needed him when I openned the ponies stall, no big deal, I just let him know that he did something that I had not asked for. We then moved the rams out to the pasture, when I openned the gate JJ jumped to action, "No JJ, I did not ask for you yet. The rams came out into the yard while JJ and I walked away, you could see the confusion on his face, why would I ever let the rams loose?? I went to a position where I could help JJ if needed and asked for an Away to Me, he looked at me in disbelief. Yes JJ, I need you now, I had to shush a little to convince him. Off he went, but then got a little over zealous... "no JJ, you should have stopped over there" A couple of adjustments and JJ was working with me to get the rams where I wanted them.

It will be interesting to see what this week will reveal.

Our pack has reduced in numbers over the last week, Jill is out on a trial to see how she will fit in with a new pack, and to determine if she can fill the role as a agility dog. Sissy, one of our ACD's went to a small farm down south, she is filling the shoes of a well loved cattle dog that had passed away. As I handed her leash over to her new owner I saw something, I could sware I saw her say, I like you, I give myself to you. She will be well taken care of.

The surprise was Riley, at this point she is on loan to a client that raises sheep and dairy cattle whose dog I worked with earlier this spring. That dog had some issues with noise, which lead to the accidental lose of her the other day when the milk truck rolled in, off she went like a shot and has not been seen since. They hope that she will turn up, but has been gone now for nearly a week. I really have no intentions on selling Riley, my plan is that she will come back home when we find the right dog for the job, but, you never know, she might be the right dog for the job. If she is, I will not come between her and the work she was intended to do if she is welcomed as a perminant addition.

I've had a break over the last week or so, much needed for both me and the dogs. But it is time to get back to work. I will try to keep up on my posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment