Saturday, August 29, 2009

There it is!!!! And it nearly brought tears to my eyes..


I took JJ out to work him after my group lessons, it was our last tune up prior to the Minnesota State Fair. As I walked out with him I could not help but wonder..."Why did I enter this little turd into a trial?" He has been testing my patience for the last few weeks, I say left he goes right, I say stop he says go, I say go, he says "but I want to stop". It's enough to make you want to pull your hair out.

Yesterday I went out on a limb and put him out into the pen with his sister that was really into cutting it up. As she caused all kinds of chaos I held JJ to his stops and flanks, it was all he could stand staying put while his sister was bouncing sheep around just having a gay old time. Wayne thought I was nuts, he said "and you plan on trialling him Monday?" My thought, it can't possibly make it any worse then I'm already expecting.

But, today was a new day. I took JJ out asked for left, he gave me left, I asked for right he gave me right, I said stop and he said "stopping is a great idea right now". He showed me that he could flank off balance, and that he could drive a fair distance, he could then flank off balance again and set a new line. For about 10 minutes JJ amazed me, he was the dog I thought I would never have but thought was there, it nearly brought tears of joy.

I called him off and thought for a moment that this was a great stopping point...but no, I'm an idiot and had to try one more little out run. Why I can't just follow my gut....a little train wreck followed, for a short time we were back to disagreeing again. But I worked real hard to get that not so little dog to understand what I wanted and next thing you know, we were back on the same page. Within moments of arriving back to that place we were out of there.

As for the trial Monday, it will be what it will be, we will make the best of it and try to have fun....yeah right fun...."Lie Down!!! Now!!! Damnit, JJ!!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment