Friday, August 28, 2009

A moment to catch up...again!!

Pictures from Iowa State Fair Sheep and Cattle Trial

Bet'cha can't tell who the trouble maker is...

I think that is her looking for a way out the side in the lead, she pulled that at the pen too, every time Jake had them lined up and heading into the pen she would slide out at the last moment

Jake started out real nice on his cattle run

Many of the cattle stalled out just past these panels and against the fence

Once again I have managed to not update my daily trial and training journal, but the trialling and training has continued.
Jake and Wayne competed at the Iowa State Fair last Wednesday, there were moments of great work, moments of disappointment but overall I think it is safe to say the majority of his work was fair. Everytime Jake trials I see glimmers of what could be, maybe one day it will all come together in one shiny package, we keep hoping. But isn't that what all of us that are trialling are hoping for, that one perfect day where everything just came together perfectly.
I brought a new dog home from the fair, another Jake. Jake is a 5 year old male that had been used for cattle work. He is a result of Ben Means' breeding/training program. That first time out with the ewes with him was not pretty, nearly lost a ram lamb, but, it's a week later and a different dog is imerging. It will be interesting to see what he develops into and what I can learn from him. Each day I can trust him a little more with the livestock and trust that he will make the right decision in relationship to the commands I give him.
We have a busy weekend coming up, Sunday we are off to the Nebraska State Fair where Wayne and Jake will once again try to tackle the cattle class. From there I will be leaving for the Minnesota State Fair with Jake and JJ for the sheepdog trial. This will be my first opportunity to run Jake at a trial since this past January, we will run in the Open Ranch Division. I am hoping that JJ will be ready for his try at the Novice Ranch division...if only he would stop when I ask him to....



No comments:

Post a Comment